Australian High Commission
United Kingdom
High Commission address: Australia House, Strand, London WC2B 4LA

Driving in Australia

Bona fide tourists with a valid UK driver's licence for the same class of vehicle can drive in Australia. You should carry your licence with you at all times when driving. In some states you can drive indefinitely while on tourist/visitor visa status, others have a time limit so you should check with the local road transport authority.

An International Driver's Permit is not a legal requirement for driving in Australia but if you want to hire a rental car some rental companies may ask for an International Driver's Permit.

If you have been granted Permanent Residency for Australia normally you would be able to drive for three months only on your overseas licence. Regulations vary from state to state, you should contact the local road transport authority on arrival for details on obtaining a local licence.