- About us
- Visas, Migration and Citizenship
- Travelling to Australia
- Services for Australians
- Doing business with Australia
- Passport services
- Study in Australia
- About Australia
- Travel advice
- Register with us
The department publishes processing time service standards which it aims to process 75 per cent of cases within. Actual processing times may vary depending on a range of factors. For further information please refer to the link below.
Current processing times
The table below advises the anticipated processing times for applications lodged at the London office. Processing times are indicative only. Processing times for individual cases may vary depending on individual circumstances and the complexity of each case.
In the lead up to Christmas, we generally receive a higher number of applications for visas to Australia, as well as applications for citizenship by descent. In this period, our processing times may be longer than normal and so we encourage anyone who intends to travel to Australia over the Christmas period to make their application as soon as possible.
You should not book flights or make travel commitments until you have a visa to travel to Australia. The department will not be liable for any financial loss incurred by clients whose visa application was finalised later than expected or unsuccessful.
Temporary Visa Applications
As a result of increased lodgements, our processing times are currently as follow:
- Visitor visa - between 1 and 2 months
- Temporary Work Short Stay Activity - between 1 working day and 1 month
- Transit - initial response within 7 working days
- Working Holiday Maker - initial response within 7 working days
- Student - between 14 working days and 3 months
- Other Temporary Visas - between 2 and 3 months
Permanent Visa Applications
- Resident Return - within 7 working days
- Partner Migration - 8 to 9 months
- Child Migration and adoption - 9 months
- Orphan Relative - 9 months
- Extended Eligibility Child (subclass 445) - 9 months
- Aged Dependent Relative - capped and queued, see: www.immi.gov.au/migrants/family/other-family-visa-queue.htm
- Remaining Relative - capped and queued, see: www.immi.gov.au/migrants/family/other-family-visa-queue.htm
- Carer - capped and queued, see: www.immi.gov.au/migrants/family/other-family-visa-queue.htm
- Registration of Citizenship by Descent - initial response within 7 working days, processing time can vary between 1 and 4 weeks.