- About us
- Visas, Migration and Citizenship
- Travelling to Australia
- Services for Australians
- Doing business with Australia
- Passport services
- Study in Australia
- About Australia
- Travel advice
- Register with us
Check the status of your Australian visa online & visa evidencing (visa label)
Online Visa Status Check - Visa Entitlement Verification Online (VEVO)
Visa Entitlement Verification Online (VEVO) is a free, online service that allows visa holders and registered Australian organisations (such as Registered Migration Agents (RMAs), Australian employers, labour suppliers, education providers, financial institutions and government agencies) to check the details and entitlements of a visa. VEVO means you no longer need a visa label in your passport.
VEVO allows you to check your visa details online and provides information about your visa conditions and entitlements, it details;
- the visa class and subclass
- the visa grant and expiry dates
- the visa grant number
- must enter Australia before date
- the names of any dependents listed on the visa
- the number of entries allowed
- the period of stay
- all conditions applicable to your visa in plain English
How to use VEVO
If you have been granted a visa go to the VEVO web page and select ‘Enter VEVO as a Visa Holder’.
When you have read and accepted the terms and conditions a login screen will be displayed.
Step 1 - Enter one of the following:
- The transaction reference number (TRN – which was issued to you if you applied for your visa online)
- Visa grant number (which you can find on your visa grant notification)
- Visa evidence number (which you can find on your existing visa label)
Step 2 - Enter all of the following information:
- Date of birth
- The passport number you used in your visa application
- Country of passport
When you are in Australia, with your permission, employers, labour hire companies, roads and traffic authorities, education institutions, banks and organisations can check your visa entitlements online. Other government agencies, for example Medicare and Centrelink, can also check your visa entitlements. Organisations do not need to sight a visa label; they can check your visa status and entitlements online.
Using VEVO is a secure and effective method to confirm the current entitlements of your visa.
If you have not applied for your visa online or have misplaced your VEVO password you are required to wait until you are in Australia and can then call the Department of Immigration and Border Protection on 131 881 to establish a log-in/password.
Visa evidencing (visa label)
Australia’s modern electronic visa system does not require you to have a visa label placed in your passport to confirm your immigration status and entitlements in Australia.
When you check-in to fly to Australia, airline staff will use your passport to electronically confirm that you have authority to travel to Australia prior to boarding the aircraft.
See: About Your Visa - www.immi.gov.au/visas/about-your-visa.htm
If you have changed your passport since your visa was granted you must advise us of the new passport details so we may update our records. You can do this by completing a form sending it to the office that granted your visa.
The following is required:
- Completed Form 929, see:www.immi.gov.au/allforms/pdf/929.pdf
- Certified copy of the new passport bio data (photo) page.
- If your name has changed, provide certified copy of the name change document (e.g. marriage certificate, deed poll etc).
- Copy of your old passport bio data (photo) page if available.
- If your citizenship has changed, provide evidence of this change (e.g. a copy of the letter from the relevant authority advising you of your new citizenship).
- If your old passport with the visa label was lost or stolen provide a statement outlining the circumstances.
If your visa was granted in London please send these documents by post to:
Migration Branch, Australian High Commission, Strand, London WC2B 4LA
Clients who have previously been advised they cannot travel to Australia without a label in their passport should contact us for further information.
See: Contact Us